Thursday, July 3, 2008

Update from Corey

In the three weeks that I have been here Jim opened my eyes to some of the needs here in Italy. One day we went on a home visit to a Philipino man from the congregation. His brother back home has been falsely accused of raping a girl. All the test that were taken have proven that he didn’t do it, but the girl’s uncle is the mayor of the city and therefore the justice is not being carried out. His brother is now in prison awaiting a trial where he may be convicted guilty by the powers that be of this crime he didn’t commit. He is a believer and is taking everything as well as one can in this kind of circumstances. To add to coals to the fire, this man’s uncle just died as well. He is questioning God and his faith. He can’t help but ask, “why me oh God? Have I not repented of all my sins? What have I done to deserve this?” It is hard to see him go through this. Jim and I assured him he is not alone in his suffering and that God is faithful. I also have gone on a hospital visit with Jim. We met with a lady named Françoise and her 8 moth old son David who has a poor heart and two hernias. We prayed for young David and read scripture (Ps. 46). My personal prayer for David is that God by His great grace will heal David and use him for the glory of His kingdom. I hope to find out one day that God used David as a great missionary or evangelist like William Carry or Hudson Taylor.

Jim is also teaching me how to preach and prepare sermons. Jim taught at Dallas Seminary for 6 years as a Hermeneutics professor. Then he went on to be a pastor for several years before coming to the mission field. He says that every one tells him he did it all backwards. The first time I preached here in Italy was the first time I ever preached and it was with an interpreter. This coming Sunday I will preach again and it too will be with an interpreter. However, after that I will most likely be preaching at Milan Bible Church, which is an English speaking church made up of many ethnic back grounds.

I am learning that I have a great love for children though I am willing to serve all people willing with a servant’s hearts and the love of Christ. In Domo, the little mountain town we wrote about, I got to go to a Saturday morning market and people-watch while selling books. This was an ok experience but handing out tracks and pushing books is not something I am called to. I shine when I get to disciple and share God’s word with people.

Please be praying for me that I might understand God’s plan for my life as He reveals it to me.

Love, Corey

1 comment:

Jo said...

Hi Corey,

Thank you for sharing your eperience. I think all to often the real issues are put off, or brushed aside. However, this man that is falsely accused reminds me of the book of Job. Share your faith with this man and help him to keep his faith and bring Glory to God.

It's difficult for anyone to see the who, what, where and why. But God knows, and sometimes as difficult as it is...........that is what we need to accept for that moment in time.

I pray for you and the falsely accused man. May the Glory of God shine through you both.

With Love,
Jo